• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globetrotter
    Senior Newbie
    • Mar 2015

2.7 glow plug fuses

Hi everyone. I live in England with my 2003 GC 2.7 CRD Overland. Technical info is not easy to get over here and whilst WJ Jeeps is a mine of good info it is American and they don't have the 2.7. So I figure that what you guys don't know about the 2.7 isn't worth knowing so I turn to you to sort my current problem out.
    Both 50 amp fuses for the glow plugs blow instantly when the plugs are operated. There are two separate circuits for the plugs, one does the odd numbered plugs and the other the even numbers. I can't see where there is a connection between the two so why do both fuses blow. There must be a dead short somewhere but how can it affect both circuits?
    I would be very grateful for any help in sorting this out.
  • Globetrotter
    Senior Newbie
    • Mar 2015

Come on fellas, no ideas?

Comment

• fester
      No Winching
      • Jun 2010

I got rid of my manual when I sold the car so can't look anything up but hopefully one of the other guys can for you. However I don't recall much talk about issues with the glow plugs other than the od one malfunctioning, I don't recall anyone having a major meltdown like you describe.
      I got a sweater for Chrissy, nothing wrong with that except I was hoping for a moaner or a screamer.

Comment

• bodgie
        Rock Munki
        • Aug 2009

The manual says 1,3,5 are on one relay and 2 and 4 are on the other.

The two relays are in the PDC that you should be able to easily identify, I'd pull them and check continuity with a multimeter to see if there is a short to ground.

Terminal 87 of the relay goes to the glow plug and ping 30 goes to the fuse. Glow plugs 1,3,5 have a black wire going to them and 2 and 4 have a black/yellow wire if you want to identify the cable.

If you do a bit of googling you should be able to find an electronic copy of the manual.

HTH,

Jason

Comment

• Globetrotter
          Senior Newbie
          • Mar 2015

Thanks fellas. I'll certainly check those wires Bodgie.

Comment

• drover
            MonsterMoose
            • Apr 2005

Everything 2.7 CRD has a link to download a manual and other helpful bits.
            2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
            Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• Globetrotter
              Senior Newbie
              • Mar 2015

Thanks Drover. That's one hell of a link.

Comment

Working...
              X