• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sufferinghusband
    I just registered
    • Apr 2014

Replacement Ignition Barrel will not Start WJ

I purchased a new ignition barrel for my WJ 2002 as the key keeps falling out. I have to take it in for a roadworthy and know it will get knocked for it. The barrel finally arrived and I installed it today, but it wouldnt let me turn the key to get the starter to turn the engine over. Both barrels look identical bar one thing. On the end of the key barrel tang there is a small hole. The original jeep barrel has what looks like a piece of plastic inserted in it, however the new barrel does not. The only thing I can think of is the plastic piece in the hole is restricting how far the matching piece that is inserted into it can go. Has anyone else had this issue? The key barrel does turn all the way to where it should start the car when out, but when in it cannot turn. Thanks in advance.
  • sufferinghusband
    I just registered
    • Apr 2014

Update: Purchased another key barrell that had the plastic piece in it. The car started and ran for a few seconds then turned off. I gather there is some security on the new barrell and key??? At least this time the car will start, just not stay running. Any ideas on this one people? Anybody?

Comment

• 55zed
      Established Member
      • Apr 2012

are you using a different key as well? try putting the old key on the keyring with the
      new one, they have a security code embedded in the key, if this is the problem
      there may be a light on the dash, key with a line through it, on the right side I think
      Cheers

Comment

• Sockeye
        Full Flexer
        • Jun 2009

That's what it does when you put a not programmed key into the barrel. It starts and dies.

Take the key to the dealer and for about 0.5 hour of labour they will program the new key for you. Or you can use your old one.

Comment

• sufferinghusband
          I just registered
          • Apr 2014

Thanks for that I will check it in the morning and see if it works. I was wondering how the original key was recognised by the system?

Comment

• 55zed
            Established Member
            • Apr 2012

the key has a transponder in the plastic head, only a dealer can program it

Comment

• sufferinghusband
              I just registered
              • Apr 2014

I pulled the original barrell out today and replaced it with the new one. Had the old key on the keyring with the new one. The truck started up and stayed running, for a while. Turned it off and went to turn it back on, and it started up fine. Third time it ran and stopped. Old key was still on the ring but it wouldnt start. Pulled the new barrell and put the old one back in, and away it ran without issue. Think I will be taking the new barrell to be keyed for my old keys and see if that does the trick.

Comment

Working...
              X