X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepnjules
    CrawlerStar
    • Feb 2007

another idea for showering is go to bunnings and buy a stainless steel pressurisable weed spray canistor , then place a shower rose on end of hose instead of weed sprayer , then the idea is either place beside camp fire and heat or place on gas bbq, heats to temperature rather quickly and out of a 10litre canistor u get 2 showers , the beauty of this method is no pumps or hoses and very simple. cost if i remember was less than $100.
    Tassie Beetle owner

Comment

• kj69
      No Winching
      • Oct 2005

just have a submersible pump and shower head with on/off swich and variable pressure connects via a long lead to cig lighter socket for power,wait for it whole $20 primus brand then you heat up 2 kettles of water and put them in a 25lt bucket rest cold water enough for 2 long showers or 3 short ones , cant see point in spending hundreds of dollars to heat water which you already have a gas stove to do same job.

Help support the future of the forum

Comment

• tassiecj6
        Rock Munki
        • Apr 2006

I bought a 12volt Super Cheap shower ($30),then aquired a galvanised steel bucket (pinched from work actually, LOL) .
        Put said bucket on gas stove / fire until warm.
        enough for 2 showers or 1 long one shared
        97 TJ Sport
        74 CJ6
        78 CJ7 x2
        WJ Grand

Comment

• layback40
          Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner
          • Jan 2011

The last trip up to near Hotham was great. I'm getting a bit old for washing in the cold Kiewa river water.
          I have a 20ltr plastic bucket with about 40 1mm holes in the base. Boil 10ltrs of water in the camp oven & add it to 10ltrs already in the bucket. Pull it up over a fork in a tree & get a 5 minute warm shower. Been using it for years. Not too good with a cold wind or when no fire going.
          My camper has a recess for a shower, just need a shower curtain, no big deal. Have a 5ltr/min 12v pump.
          Have been looking around for an on demand LPG water heater for some time. Spoke to some horsey girls up at Diamantina camping ground. They had one set up in their float for washing down horses they said. When asked about using for a shower, they told me it was great. They have had it about 5 years. Its a Eccotemp L5. After searching around looking at what was about, most on demand units are around $300 on ebay. Found an L5 on Amazon for ~ $135 + $50 postage. Am now waiting so I can fit it. Will be great in the spring in the high country when its still a bit cold.
          98&01XJVMs,06&07KJCRD's,No longer question authority,I annoy it.More effect,less effort.10000Club

Comment

• anthonygubbin
            MonsterMoose
            • Feb 2010

I use one of those solar showers. The sun doesn't really heat the water so I boil my own. I use a funnel and jug to fill it and I get about 4-5mins out of it. I have a shower tent for camping so the freezing temps are no major issue. Solar shower cost me $12. I have now set it up in my shed as I don't have mains water or a water heater.

Regards A
            Lay down with dogs and you will wake up with fleas; scratching the surface not treating the disease. Over 5'000 Club

Comment

• drover
              MonsterMoose
              • Apr 2005

Boy this must be one of the oldest threads to resurface, I used to use one of those solar bag showers, put it on the roof of the truck or FWD and it was too bloody hot, had to add cold or 3rd degree burns, nowadays just open door to van and can have hot shower or cold beer without any hassle............aarrgghh love it.
              Still carry the old canvas shower bag with the biggest brass shower rose ever, military issue marvelous bit of kit, glad I kept it.
              2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
              Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• piggy
                CrawlerStar
                • Jun 2013

I have a home made hot water exchange unit, was under the bonnet on my nissan but the only room on the JK was on top of the bash plate next to the exhaust.
                I have been using it for years & works well, when we go camping there is usually about 6 to 10 people, & all have hot showers from 5mins to 15mins per person.
                I use a bilge pump connected to a hose, it sucks water straight from the creek or bucket if not near creek, pushes it threw the hot-water exchange unit then into another hose (via brass quick release connections on the bull bar) that go's into the shower tent.
                the heat exchange unit is easy to make or you can buy ones like glind ext.
                how they basicly work is to use the return engine water coming from the heater to run threw a chamber & back to the engine (basicly cut your return heater hose & install the unit) the water from the creek go's threw an inner coil inside the chamber that gets heated by the return engine water. by using the return after the heater you can controll the temp of your shower from using the heater inside the car. The bilge pump has more pressure than my home shower. & because you have the engine idling while showering it also re-charges the dual battery for the fridge when im not driving around each day.
                they are not hard to make, you can pick up all the bits from a plumbing shop.
                cheers Piggy.
                Last edited by piggy; 18-07-2014, 06:53 AM.
                # JKU 4 door 35s Lokd & Loaded
                # TJ 35s Lokd & loaded

Comment

• layback40
                  Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner
                  • Jan 2011

The one I purchased arrived the other day. It looks good, well made, probably made in China. Tried it out, can get water as hot as, on low water flow with heat turned right up it goes close to boiling water. Probably not legal for a house situation. When the weather improves here, the necessary mounts & pipes can be added to my camper.
                  AG, it would probably do you for your place, $185 with gas reg & lines is cheap enough. It looks like it could be fitted down stream of a solar collector to boost the temp.
                  Last edited by layback40; 18-07-2014, 11:53 AM.
                  98&01XJVMs,06&07KJCRD's,No longer question authority,I annoy it.More effect,less effort.10000Club

Comment

Working...
                  X