• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • afd660
    I just registered
    • Feb 2014

Trying to move to kangaroo country

Just wanted to see what Australia is like compared to America. Ive talked to a Aussie in Kuwait in 2005 that was in the military and he said there's no other place he would rather live.. I've also heard things from different people but most of them have never been to AU. I'm asking because I'm trying to transfer over from the American military to the Aussie military. I read that getting a worker visa or skillset visa is really hard so the military is the way to go. Just had a few questions about the AU, just basic questions like how do locals feel about Americans, how does the military feel about getting ex Americans military in their ranks. Is there a website I can look at and get information about modifying Jeeps and keeping it legal??
  • Shafus
    CrawlerStar
    • Nov 2006

Come on down, you will wonder why you never came sooner. Except if you like having many high powered military weapons and over the top lifts on your jeeps, then you will get home sic. I have a few mates in the army and I would say they don't hate yanks just not fans of 'we are the best' chest out approach Americans have with fighting. If your not a arse hole they will welcome you into their ranks

Comment

• Gecko JK
      I just registered
      • Oct 2012

Been to many beautiful places overseas but there is still nothing like coming back home to Australia! Wouldn't live anywhere else. Plus there are endless places to take your 4wd! =)

Comment

• afd660
        I just registered
        • Feb 2014

Does Australia not allow lift kits?? Not going to big but maybe 2.5in. I do like owning guns though.. it would suck having to give them up... thats like you guys giving up veggemite. Lol... i did get a response from a person in the military asking more about my experience. Does anybody here have more details about the process switching over to the AU military?? I have no kids or wife so i think it would be to hard for me to relocate if i get accepted. Thanks for the responses..

Comment

• ian
          westside wheeler
          • Oct 2003

You can have basically a small lift 33-34 tyres no issue. You can get a gun licence. We shoot every weekend. Not a better place to live in the world. Great weather, sexy women, cold beer.

Comment

• Brockie
            Established Member
            • Aug 2011

Arrive with the intention of fitting in and you will have no problems at all. Those that have to broadcast how great the place is that they have come from are annoying and if they love it so much, why are they not there now. Be a regular guy and you will be readily and quickly accepted.
            sigpic Sitting in a shopping centre watching the shoppers walk by is NOT living

Comment

• afd660
              I just registered
              • Feb 2014

Thanks guys.... im not arrogant or anything... just an Army medic... lol... does anybody know the process for transferring over to the AU military?? I already sent in a expression of intrest and then emailed a CPL some documents.

Comment

• layback40
                Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner
                • Jan 2011

I was going to post this in the "How tough are Aussie blokes thread but I thought it may help our new Aussie !!

Travel questions sent to International Tourist Bureaus.

Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, how do the plants grow? (UK). A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? (USA). A: Depends how much you've been drinking.

Q: I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden). A: Sure, it's only three thousand miles, take lots of water.

Q: Which direction is North in Australia? (USA). A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.

Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia? (UK). A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do...

Q: Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round? (Germany). A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter gatherers. Milk is illegal.

Q: Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. (USA) A: Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.

Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees. (USA). A: It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of Gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them. You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.

Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? (France). A: Only at Christmas time.

Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go? (USA). A: Yes, but you'll have to learn it first
                98&01XJVMs,06&07KJCRD's,No longer question authority,I annoy it.More effect,less effort.10000Club

Comment

Working...
                X