• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rico86
    Full Flexer
    • Mar 2010

Xj caster adjustment

I have a 4.5" lift in the jeep and I want to check the caster angle but pretty much have no idea with all these degrees talk.
    Can anyone tell me what's the centre to centre length on lower control arms please?
    I have adjustable lowers and stock uppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • SeaComms
    MonsterMoose
    • Jun 2010

Since you have a lift the arm lengths will need to be custom for the exact hight of your vehicle. If you have a flat floor (garage for example) you should be able to use an angle finder on the upper ball joint face (stick a socket or tube over the nut). I installed an angle finder on my phone and simply held it against that flat section. XJ I believe should ideally be in the 5° to 8° area though with a lift that high you should keep it lower to keep the pinion angle lower.

Here's a pic I stole from the interwebs...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Cheers, Dave :)

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Comment

• alexbrown64
      AJOR Gold
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by rico86 View Post
      I have a 4.5" lift in the jeep and I want to check the caster angle but pretty much have no idea with all these degrees talk.
      Can anyone tell me what's the centre to centre length on lower control arms please?
      I have adjustable lowers and stock uppers.
      What seacomms said to adjust your caster. And here is a chart for setting your control arm length first.

Cheers
      '95 XJ I6 4.0 AW4 NP242,
      sigpic

Comment

• rang0
        Full Flexer
        • Nov 2014

I use the front of the diff center bolts. I have been known to use my phone with the level app.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

Comment

• SeaComms
          MonsterMoose
          • Jun 2010

Should be noted though that the bolts are not the same as the caster angle and there are a few charts around to map them to each other.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
          Cheers, Dave :)

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Comment

• rico86
            Full Flexer
            • Mar 2010

Ok thanks for the replies fellas. So pretty much gotta get the angle off the outta ball joint and lock it back in at around 16.7..... I'll sus it out tomorrow and see how I go lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• rainman
              Rock Munki
              • Mar 2008

For what it is worth, by making my arms about 10mm longer on the passenger side I stopped it from wanting to pull left.
              Good luck with it.
              Obd1 scanner.
              '95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan

Comment

• junglejuice
                MonsterMoose
                • Nov 2003

The charts showing control arm lengths are used when adjusting both upper and lower control arms not just the lowers, at 4.5" lift your uppers are going to be on the short side meaning your wheels won't be in the centre of the wheel arches anymore....
                JJ

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland

Comment

Working...
                X