How to live with a CJ340 or similar Jeep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to live with a CJ340 or similar Jeep?

For me buying was the easy part.

As the seller delivered me the Jeep, the first thing he did was open the hood and check on the radiator. The coolant was leaking at the joint. So he applied m-seal to stop the leak and asked me to check on it throughout the 400+ kms drive I was about to start. Meanwhile others had asked me to carry hoses and belts and rings and what not. And I thought to myself, welcome to the wild side!

Living with cars is a very easy, fill up petrol, check on oil, check the air, do periodic service and you will get along fine. One doesn't have to be technical to own and live with a car. But Jeep is another matter altogether.

And now I had a Jeep and I didn't know anything about it. And I had a leaking radiator and weak brakes waiting to be fixed. So I spent all my spare time last week understanding how an automobile cooling system works, and how the entire braking system works. Something I never bother to learn before. With the Jeep I had to understand that, before I visited the mechanic. That knowledge came in very handy as I discussed with the mechanic, I could understand his jargon and also ask intelligent questions instead of just nod at everything. BTW, last month after I decided to buy a diesel jeep, I spent a week understanding how a DI and an IDI engine works. So this is turning out to be a very educational experience.

First, I want to understand what I am looking at when I open the hood. After that I can learn about how to maintain it.

1) Brake fluid reservoir
    2) Air intake? where is the air filter...
    3) Engine
    4) Brake master cylinder?
    5) ?
    6) Fuse box (sorry no cover)
    7) Coolant overflow tank
    Radiator
    9) Fan
    10) Battery
    11) ?
    12) ? (exhaust...)
    13) Heat sink?
    14) ?
    15) ?
    16) Oil check rod

So help me guys, fill in the blanks
  • Yom
    DetroitDemon
    • May 2008

You should upgrade to an F1-11 plane as your daily drive. Far cheaper to own and run than a Jeep.

Comment

• CJ6np435
      Lowranger Shocker
      • Oct 2003

air filter inside #2
      #4 fuel filters
      #11 oil filter
      #14 possibly external voltage regulator
      #15 fuel pump
      Not another V8!

Comment

• wee doggie
        Full Flexer
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by CJ6np435 View Post
        air filter inside #2
        #4 fuel filters
        #11 oil filter
        #14 possibly external voltage regulator #15 fuel pump
        #2 Don't think so, usually oil bath filter so no removable filter as such, just clean it and put in new oil
        #14 could be, looks like 5 without the cover and would say they are voltage regulators but might just be relays as my manual says the alternator has an inbuilt reg.
        Otherwise agree
        #11 is just part of the throttle linkage
        #12 looks like the crank case breather. Is it just a pipe pointing to the ground?
        #13 nothing important? radiator support/shroud
        M38,CJ3B-L,CJ5,CJ6,CJ7,CJ8,YJ,TJ,JK,XJ,FSJ,J3011 Black Dog,dual cab J20 ute, dual cab J20 tray back

Comment

• CJ6np435
          Lowranger Shocker
          • Oct 2003

#11 (thought it was what you said but) is the oil filter check out the first pic!
          Not another V8!

Comment

• wee doggie
            Full Flexer
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by CJ6np435 View Post
            #11 (thought it was what you said but) is the oil filter check out the first pic!
            Yep, can't argue with that.

Been thinking 5 and 14 are relays, 5 just has the cover missing, one is probably the horn relay. This is easy to check, just press the horn button and see/feel if you get a click.
            M38,CJ3B-L,CJ5,CJ6,CJ7,CJ8,YJ,TJ,JK,XJ,FSJ,J3011 Black Dog,dual cab J20 ute, dual cab J20 tray back

Comment

• Bogged
              MudSplasher
              • Feb 2003

15 = Carby type thing. Has a mechanical linkage and an idle screw adjuster.

Next question is, What the hell is a CJ340???

Comment

• Mister G
                Senior Newbie
                • Aug 2009

New number needed for the glow plugs. Just below the injectors in your second photo and are connected together.

# 5 might be relay/s for the glow plugs.

Comment

Working...
                X